She was so beautiful and I will love her for ever.

Thursday, 6 October 2011

The consultant

Today was the appointment with the consultant who dealt with Alison after the accident. As with all accidents you are told very little or nothing at the time, in shock you wouldn't take it in anyway. So it has been a long wait, partly my fault as I said no, the first time I was asked if I would like to speak with him, this was fairly early on and just did not see the point as it was never going to bring her back.
As the weeks went by I realised I did need answers to a few things, so made an appointment, only to get the date mixed up and missing it, so it was re- arranged for today.
I already knew the cause of death, from the basic details on the death certificate, in short she died of massive chest injuries. But I needed to know she did not suffer and at least get details of what was done to try and save her.
So arrived at the hospital, really quite nervous as to what I was about to hear, but it was agreed that I asked the questions, so I was prepared in a way. Anyway without details, she did not suffer, she actually died at the scene, not on the way to hospital or in the hospital as I was lead to believe.
But they tried everything possible to bring her back, but that sort of injury is not survivable.
I have been to where she crashed every Thursday at 6.20pm, to change the flowers and to stand and talk to her, the time was guessed, but after today's meeting,I learnt that she actually died at that time-how would I know that? I knew the crash was at approx 6.15, but I understood that she died at the hospital, but when the ambulance arrived at 6.25pm she was already gone.

I will always go there on Thursday to talk to her, but with the winter months coming it may not be possible to have fresh flowers there all the time, she will understand.

Next hurdle is the inquest, but that may not be until next year.


  1. Dear Colin,

    My name is Andy, I drove that way just before the arrival of emergency. Since then for months my mind filled with questions. Who was she? How could this happen? I googled press infos on this, and they led me to Tribute page and your Blog. I have to share the scene from memory.

    That afternoon I was on my way to Fitness First. I remember, West End Road was unusually quiet as for that time of day. Literally no cars. Just me, and that warm, spectacular pale sunset. Suddenly, some plastic remnants scattered around turned my attention. A fire engine on my right and a motorcyclist lying in front of it. A woman. She looked like sleeping, innocently. Without any sign of distress. Surrounded by a host of terrified and very young firefighters.

    Now, every time I pass that place I pray to God. And ask. How could this happen? Especially when the street was empty.

    I'm with you in my thoughts Colin. Be strong.

    warm regards
    Andy Tesh

  2. Andy,
    I cannot thank you enough to for what you have told me. I have been really low today and this evening, to know she was laying there as you described is comfort to me and confirms what the consultant told me.
    I would like to meet you, would you consider meeting for a coffee in town one day. You can contact me direct at